Pages

Monday 6 December 2010

Summer Speedway

Coloured flags

signal green for go

to race car drivers

as the sound of engines roar.


Eight cylinders

of oil and steel pump

like stallions galloping

around an oval track.


Clouds of dust

invade our ears and eyes

like a swarm of bees

with angry stingers.


The smell of fuel

mixed with burning tyres

wafts from the pits.


The commentator’s voice

screeches from speakers

as a blur of machines

take the checkered flag.


By Courtney J.


1 comment:

  1. Your writing made me think that we should do more interesting poems. That poem made me feel very nice and I think it's beautiful. I've never been to the speedway but I can describe some of it now that I've read your poem.

    Hayley
    http://linwoodnorth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment. Your comment will appear on the page once it has been moderated by the teacher. Thank you!