Pages

Wednesday 24 June 2015

ALMA

ALMA
Here I am standing still waiting to watch the next innocent child be swallowed away from the world. I take a glimpse at the other dolls in the store. I still remember when I first anticipated this outlet opening. I was so excited!
On opening day, I seemed to be the only child to arrive. I ran to the blackboard to write my name without a second thought. As I turned towards the window I noted that the window on the doll building looked like a monster's daring face ready to attack. In the dark mouth of the monster's face stood a doll that looked identical to me. The last thing I remember was opening the door into the dark, cold room and walking towards the look-a-like doll.
....Two Years Later...
I sit at the back of the shelves on a snowy morn staring through the window. I miss the times where I played outside with my friends, playing hide'n'seek at the park.. I miss my parents, friends, and family.
After a couple of minutes I hear childish laughter and look towards the blackboard. I make out a small, young girl maybe about the age of 6 reading all of the names. While she reads I hear a sketchy, scraping noise as an old, worn doll with the same maroon jacket and a pair of beige winter boots spirals out onto the display unit.  The girl soon grabs the dusty piece of chalk that is lying on the ground and writes her name, nicely - Alma. She turns around towards the shop and catches sight of the doll. I watch quietly as a smile forms upon her face.
Alma starts running towards the window but trips over into the soft snow. She looks up but the doll has gone. Lured by the need of the doll, Alma heads towards the door of the shop. Inside me, I feel scared for the child. I hear the latch of the door open and in walks Alma.
She looks up at the other dolls and I, as we all try and stand as still as statues. Soon enough, she spots her doll and runs towards it. But as she approaches, her foot hits Jim the Monkey, and he starts panicking. Alma kneels down to pick him up and when upright Jim peddles off, on his tricycle, towards the door. Alma looks over her shoulder as Jim bangs into the door numerous times, trying to escape. She swings around greedily, to see the doll has disappeared again. Alma looks around, perplexed and confused. But I can see the doll. As Alma is not looking, I try to move soundlessly over to the doll to hide her from the young girl. But somehow Alma can still see the doll. She runs over towards us without hesitation.
She leaps up onto the couch and tries to reach the doll. I want to reach out and stop her. I want to shriek and yell. I want to get her out of this treacherous shop now. But I can't, because it's almost too late. The girl extends her arms and stands on her toes to grab the doll. The assembly of dolls look towards the young girl, in doubt. We all wait for that abhorrent moment... and in a blink of an eye, the small girl disappears into the body of the doll. I feel admittedly downcast, as I remember Alma walking into the shop and I stare over towards the beastly display unit as another doll rises, waiting to catch the next victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment. Your comment will appear on the page once it has been moderated by the teacher. Thank you!